Maxi 2018-02-13T05:42:54+00:00


B Jun 22, 2016
D Feb 10, 2018

Maxi belongs here, more than any other orphaned joey who has come to live with us. She was found lying in a ditch, just a couple of properties away, when a couple walking with their dog stumbled across her. The couple suspected the dog may have scared off the mob, at which point Maxi’s mother accidentally dropped her – that was on January 26, 2017 when she was 1.7kg and 7 months old.

Maxi was assigned to a fellow carer originally, with a plan she’d return in April when she was a little older. However, Maxi’s buddy in care became very ill and subsequently died, and Maxi was also sick, so she returned to us much sooner, on February 11th. She had thrush, had lost weight and was now just 1.5kg.

It took several weeks to get Maxi back to good health, but she thrived after that, becoming sick just one other time during her period in care, with a UTI, which she also successfully overcame. It was around that time, Maxi received her nickname “D’oh Maxi-P D’oh”, because she kept peeing in her pouch. The pee stopped, but the nickname remained.

She became the oldest member of the P-Mob, a small group of joeys who were ‘out of season’, arriving from Jan-Apr. Along with Scratch, Bruce, and Pocket this small group probably enjoyed the best care we have ever been able to offer with just two of us. They would spend hours every day down the hill, enjoying the mid-afternoon winter sun, eating and playing in the bush, in the middle of the day. 7kg shooting orphan Winnie joined them in August, and this very spoilt group of joeys, who knew the property extremely well, were soft-released towards the end of the year.

Maxi thrived out there in the wild, and we’d only see her when she returned with the others at dusk for her bottle, until that fateful day she entered the open gate of the house pen, wobbling on her legs, about to collapse. We had no idea what had happened to her. Her eyes were bulging and she started to seize. She was sedated, and Rae sat with her for hours on end, keeping her calm while we tried to figure out what had happened.

The next day, we asked the vet to visit and take blood samples from her and several other sick joeys in care, who were showing similar symptoms to the recently deceased Ollie. This occurred on the same day we received results of a necropsy done on a wild joey, showing Babesiosis as the cause of death.

Babesiosis is difficult to diagnose and often isn’t seen in blood, however, the vet was able to compare her blood to that of the wild joey, and diagnosed that Maxi also had Babesiosis. Given the disease was not known to be in the region, the treatment drug was unavailable for another day. We knew Maxi wouldn’t survive that long, but we were able to locate the drug several hours away and got a taxi to drive it here immediately. Maxi and 3 other joeys were treated the moment it arrived. We knew Maxi’s chances were low, especially given her quick onset, but we had the medication, so we had to try and save her life.

Several hours after treatment, she could lift her head and her eyes could focus on us. She ate food and even drank bottles. However, the medication only gave her a little boost, and the following day, Maxi went downhill again. She was lucid enough to know that we were with her for countless hours as she enjoyed the pats and love and talking.

During our talks, both Sayo and Rae told her how much we loved her and that we believed she was strong enough to fight it, and that we would support her as much as we could if she wanted to stay, but that we also would understand if she wanted to go. Maxi died about an hour later and we sadly accepted her decision. She was calm and quiet, we were with her as she passed away.
She will be receiving a necropsy, to 100% confirm the cause of death, the findings will be posted in due course.

Maxi will be fondly remembered by some of our early supporters and social media followers, as she created her own unique personality online – “I’m the cutest and the best one – just ask me”! Big thanks to those who sponsored Maxi whilst she was in care, Brooke and Abby. It was a short life, but a good life.

D’oh Maxi-P D’oh! D’oh Maxi-P D’oh.


Your contribution will help rescue, rehabilitate and release more orphaned and injured native wildlife in need.